• 020 8127 0308


  • 44 Whalebone Lane

    Dag, London RM8 1BB

  • Office Hour

    Mon- Sat : 10 am - 6 pm

HMOs require an HMO licence

The majority of HMOs require an HMO licence. If your property’s let to five or more tenants from more than one household, is at least three storeys high and the tenants share toilet, bathroom or kitchen facilities, then you’ll definitely need a licence.


Student housing – living in a house in multiple occupation (HMOStudents often live in shared houses or flats. Many of these properties are houses in multiple occupation (HMO). If you live in an HMO, your landlord has extra legal responsibilities and may need a licence for the property.

Persons Per Room

PPR — Persons Per Room; so if you have three bedrooms, two bathrooms, a living room, and a kitchen, then the overall limit would be seven persons. PPB — Persons per Bedroom; as already noted, that limit is two persons per bedroom, which meanssix people.


house in multiple occupation (HMO) is a property rented out by at least 3 people who are not from 1 ‘household’ (for example a family) but share facilities like the bathroom and kitchen. It’s sometimes called a ‘house share’.

If you want to rent out your property as a house in multiple occupation in England or Wales you must contact your council to check if you need a licence.

You must have a licence if you’re renting out a large HMO in England or Wales. Your property is defined as a large HMO if all of the following apply:

  • it is rented to 5 or more people who form more than 1 household
  • some or all tenants share toilet, bathroom or kitchen facilities
  • at least 1 tenant pays rent (or their employer pays it for them)

Even if your property is smaller and rented to fewer people, you may still need a licence depending on the area. Check with your council.


A licence is valid for a maximum of 5 years.

see www.gov.uk